Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spinach & Feta Stuffed Chicken (the guest meal)

This is a meal that I braved one night when I had a little time on my hands and wanted to try something different. This is definitely one to try, whether you think you don't like spinach or not!! My husband ate it all and cleaned his plate and he wrinkled up his nose the entire time I was preparing it!

Ingredients: (for 2)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts- I used the frozen bag kind like normal, but this is one instance where the fresh package kind that are thicker may be better.
1 package of frozen spinach
1 package of feta cheese
1/2 cup mayo
Minced garic (I didn't have any so I used garlic powder)

To prepare:
Preheat oven to 375.
Thaw spinach and drain completely. Do not leave any water on it at all!
In a large mixing bowl, mix the spinach with the mayo and package of feta cheese. Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and if you have it, a little some onion powder. I also added in a little mozzerela and quesadilla cheese because I had it and needed to thicken the mixture. (we like cheese).

Using a very sharp knife, create a cut  down the center of the chicken breasts creating a pocket. DO NOT cut all the way through. Using a tablespoon, stuff the mixture into the pocket you created. Do not overstuff, about two tablespoons should fit depending on the size of your chicken breast.
Use toothpicks to secure the chicken shut and place on a cookie sheet seam side down.

Bake at 375 for approx 45 minutes- 1 hour. Juices should run clear. When my chicken was done, it had a nice brown skin, so I flipped it over for about 5 minutes to brown the other side.

SOME recipes call for the chicken breasts to be bacon-wrapped. I do not like the bacon recipes because it makes the chicken greasy and it rarely ever gets the bacon done. However, some people say that you can use the broiler at the end to brown the bacon if you want to make them that way.

I served this with garlic mashed potatoes and whole steamed grean beans that I had sprinkled with some lemon pepper seasoning and crescent rolls. A very fancy looking dinner that was very easy and tasted AMAZING. Hubbs graded it an 8 on a 1-10 scale! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment